Gum disease is difficult to treat and once infected leads to a lot of tooth diseases. Most gum diseases can occur because of the plaque. Sometimes, it might be the result of smoking. Smoking interferes with the normal function of gum tissue cell which makes the mouth more vulnerable to gum infections. And sometimes it can be because of the hormonal shifts. When you are pregnant then hormones are imbalanced. This imbalance makes the gum more susceptible to the gum disease.
Usually, the symptoms for the gum diseases appear very late which makes it difficult to be treated. People who regularly visit the dentist do not have that risk. If detected before time, you can stop progression and reverse the damage. For doing so you need to take care of the three main elements as stated by dental clinic Delhi: –
- A gum disease fighting diet
- Professional care
- Proper oral hygiene
The problem with treating gum disease is the lack of information about the dangers of having bad gums, the precautions to prevent the gums from getting infecting and the ways to make them stronger. Dental clinic Delhi mentions to make sure that you are following a good oral health schedule and not unintentionally causing them any harm you need to pay attention to the following points: –
- Use extra soft bristles
- Swap your tooth every three months
- Do not brush too hard
- Use proper Listerine
Key nutrients that help in fighting against the gum disease:
Coenzyme- CoQ10 is an antioxidant that is needed for proper cell function. Studies have shown that people who have more CoQ10 are safer in the matter of gum disease.
Collagen- To fight against the inflammation, our gum needs to reorganize the tissue make up. Collagen reorganizing the tissue make up, making the gums stronger to fight the infections.
Catechins- catechins are known as disease-fighting phenols and antioxidants. Catechins prevent the teeth from bacteria formation and gum inflammation.
Dental clinic Delhi in a report said that while dental hygiene is very important to fight the gum disease, the fact that the diet can play more important role must not be ignored. Our body works all day fighting off the microbes to keep us healthy. This is how our immune system works. But sometimes, it needs a little extra care and helps in performing its functions. Many ways have been developed to fight the microbes. There are antibacterial drugs, rubs, and washes. But mostly, there are food items that help us boost the immune system. Some of them are:
- Ginger- Ginger comprises a compound called gingerol. Gingerol has antibacterial properties that help fight the infections. They are believed to have the most effective protection against the teeth.
- Garlic- Garlic is one of the most powerful antimicrobial food that one can eat. The components present in Garlic help fight against yeast, fungus, and worms and prevent fight the bacteria in your mouth.
- Lemons- Lemons contain two compounds, coumarin, and tetrazine. Both the compounds help fight against pathogens. Lemons are believed to have protective effects on both the outside and the inside of the body.
- Coconut oil- Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is a fatty acid rich in antibacterial properties. Many people suggest that a 10 minutes gargle with coconut oil can make the teeth stronger.
- Nuts high in omega3- Nuts that are rich in Omega 3 prove to be a nutrient-rich diet. Omega-3s are great because of their anti-inflammatory properties. Nuts like macadamia, pistachio and sesame seed prove to be highly effective in protecting the teeth.
- Salmon- salmon like herring is an oily fish. They are a great source of nutrients with a high level of Omega-3s. Due to their anti-inflammatory effects on the body, they are good for the immune system.
- Broccoli- Broccoli is packed with Vitamin C which acts as an antioxidant in the body. It is also a rich source of Vitamin B1, magnesium, iron and calcium.
- Green Tea- Green tea is high in catechins which is one of the key nutrients to fight against the gum disease. Which means that people who drink more green tea have fewer chances of developing gum diseases.
- Chicken- Chicken contains collagen which is an excellent way to fight against the gum diseases. Chicken might be high on fat, but it is filled with collagen and proves quite healthy for the gums.
Cacao- Cacao is also a rich source of catechins. It helps in fighting the cavities, plaque and preventing the tooth decay. In fact, the compounds present in cacao are more effective in fighting against tooth decay than fluoride. Cacao also contains a compound called CBH which hardens the enamel.