One of the significant challenges that medical professionals usually go through are the people who have both substance addiction and mental illness. This addiction can be to drugs or alcohol or any other toxic substance. Eventually, the addictive behavior of the patients makes the treatment all the more complicated. The symptoms keep on overlapping. And along with everything else, the mental illness also becomes more and more robust to deal with. It is the reason drug addiction treatment for dual diagnosis patients turns out to be very critical.
Due to their dual problems, the complete recovery takes a lot of time. The habits of the individual undergo many changes, and the family needs to take great care of such individuals. Since these people also have mental illnesses, it becomes challenging for their family or medical professionals to make them adhere to the guidelines of drug rehab programs. Besides, to get rid of drug addiction, medications and counseling are essential. But then it becomes all the more difficult to convince them for these sessions.
The process of Dual Diagnosis treatment includes the following:
- Evaluation of Psychiatric Health – To identify which disorder the individual is suffering from, the mental health needs to be assessed. At this point, medications may be prescribed along with general psychiatric counseling. It is done to address the illness.
- Integration of Addiction Rehab – With the help of insights gained from the psychological assessment, many counselors start working with the individual so that the alcohol or drug addiction can be addressed. This process moves at a slower pace due to the complications that are caused by mental illnesses.
- Treatment for The Mind, Spirit and Body – Programs which employ holistic therapies, for example, yoga, massage therapy, meditation and nutritional counseling can help the individual to find that balance in their lives which is missing mostly. Though not all the Dual Diagnosis rehab programs provide the holistic care of an individual. However, those who do enjoy success and very less rate of drug addiction relapse.
More than one therapeutic strategy should be used, to treat a Dual Diagnosis patient. The rehabilitation program must include the following as well.
- Individual Counseling Sessions – Intensive sessions with a psychologist, counselor or psychiatrist will address your addictive disorder as well as your psychiatric diagnosis.
- Mutual Support Groups – Group therapy is vital in the treatment of Dual Diagnosis. Social withdrawal or isolating oneself can only worsen social anxiety or depression. Interacting and meeting people from your support group can assist you in restoring your trust. It also helps in enhancing your sense of competence. It is an essential part of Drug Addiction Treatment.
These tips will help in managing with the ravaging impact of the dual diagnosis of mental health issues as well as drug addiction.