Goods and Services Tax (GST) merges all the applicable tax, such as VAT, customs duty, service tax, etc. into one single tax. GST came into effect on 1st July 2017 and is a type of consumption fee that is applied to all goods and services supply of India.
Now that you know what is GST, you must lean the registration process. Every business or individual with an annual turnover of Rs. 20 Lakh has to register for GST and avail a unique GST Identification Number (GSTIN).
GST is applicable to every production stage until it reaches the consumer. You can file GST returns and also get the excess funds refunded after every fiscal year ending.
After you have registered yourself, there are several ways with which you can check your GST registration status online.
Given below are some steps you can follow:
- Visit the official GST portal after you have attained the ARN. In the portal home page, you will find the ‘Existing User Login’ option that you have to click and provide your user name and password to log in.
- After you have provided your username and password and entered the correct captcha, you will be redirected to a welcome page where you will have to click on the ‘My Saved Application’ tab under the dashboard.
- In the ‘My Saved Application’ option, you will have to provide your ARN to check the status of your GST registration. The status will also be sent to your provided contact number.
- Access the official GST portal and click on the ‘Track GST Registration Status’ option present under the ‘Services’ tab of the main menu.
- Provide you ARN and enter the correct captcha in the respective fields.
- Once the entered ARN and captcha is verified, your GST registration status will be displayed.
You can also use your GSTIN to track your registration status after completing your GST registration procedure in India by following the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the official GST website and select the ‘Search Taxpayer’ option present under the ‘User Services’ bar of the ‘Services’ tab.
- Enter the correct captcha and your GSTIN in the respective field.
- Your GST registration status will be displayed on your screen.
You will also get an option to download a digital copy of your registration from the portal. This document is an essential report which is required to prove your business existence when you avail a credit.
Several financial institutions and NBFCs provide loan against this document. Bajaj Finserv is one such NBFC that offer Business Loan at a competitive interest rate with minimal pre-payment and foreclosure charges. They also provide online account access, instant approval, prolonged tenor, loan amount up to Rs. 30 Lakh and other attractive benefits.
Along with the GST registration certificate, other papers that can be furnished to prove your business existence are SEBI registration certificate, SSI registration certificate, etc.
Note that failing to register your business on time will result in having hefty penalties or cancellation of your business license.
You can choose to register for GST online through the official portal. Fill the GST REG-01 form by providing your PAN, contact number and e-mail address.
After your contact details are verified, you will receive a one-time password (OTP). Enter the OTP in the respective field to receive your ARN on your mobile number and e-mail address.
Keep your GST registration status under check using your ARN and following the steps mentioned above. Once all verification gets completed, and you submit the required documents, you will receive your registration certificate with your GSTIN within 3 working days.