Do’s and Don’s for Student Visa Subclass 500

student visa

The student visa subclass 500 allows a person to live and study in Australia for a maximum period of 5 years. The study must be of a full-time course or that of 3 months in a school, university or institute of Australia. Students all over the world are increasingly choosing Australia as a country to study, to help them be receivers of high standards of education followed by building a lucrative career. One can take the guidance of experts from Immigration Consultant Perth to select from various courses offered by Australia.

What you can do with Visa Subclass 500

  • You can choose from a wide range of courses offered by Australia for your education
  • You can bring members of your family to Australia
  • This visa allows you to leave Australia and return anytime
  • You are allowed to work for 40 hours in a week, every alternate week after the course commences

What you need to be eligible for this visa

  • There must be an offer for a full-time course from an institute in Australia for you to study. A COE (Confirmation of Enrollment) is required from you in your application
  • You should go through a list of requirements made mandatory by Australia’s Home Affairs department for this application
  • You should meet the criteria for age as per the rules
  • The requirement for the English language must be met
  • Your health insurance should be in place
  • You need to clear your character assessment which can be proven through a certificate from your respective police department
  • If you have been refused or faced cancellation on an Australian visa ever, it could affect the approval of your visa
  • Proper arrangements must be made for your stay in Australia if you are less than 18 years of age

How to apply

An online request can be filed by you for the student visa application on the link for Australia’s Home Affairs department. You must prepare the documentation accurately to fulfill the visa application completely. You must ensure that there are sufficient funds to support the application.

Do’s and don’ts for your stay in Australia

With student visa 500, you can study in Australia for a maximum of 5 years. Your stay duration would be ascertained by the length of the course that you have opted for.

  • Children between the age of 1- 4 years can be granted this visa for school education for up to two years
  • To be able to continue your education in Australia once your visa expires, the same visa needs to be applied for again
  • If you are yet to complete your chosen course and your subclass 500 visa validity expires, you could be eligible for a Visitor Visa – Subclass 600. Your institute must issue a letter with your graduation date in such a case
  • If you have completed your course in the last 6 months in Australia and you have a student visa, you may be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa – Subclass 485
  • Engineering graduates who complete their course from a recognized institute of Australia in the recent past can be eligible for a Skilled Recognition Graduate Visa- Subclass 476
  • Based on your reasons and circumstances you may get permission to make a new visa application if you need to stay longer in Australia

The time it takes and how much it costs

Depending upon the course of the study and the corresponding study sector selected by you, the fee of the application would be determined for the visa. This would also determine the time taken for processing it.

  • The visa could cost you AUD620 unless you are from an exempted group
  • If accompanied by a family member, they would be charged additionally for their visa
  • There would be an additional charge for biometrics, police and health verification

Processing the visa takes-

  • About 5 months for most applications of postgraduate research
  • About 57 days for school applicants in most cases
  • Approximately 76 days in the case of most applicants for Vocational Training and Education
  • About 53 days for most applicants for higher education


It is important to remember that a person and his family members who have applied for the Visa Subclass 500 must adhere to the laws of Australia. Fulfilling all visa conditions for studying as well as working attached to the subclass 500, are provided in the letter granting the visa. Having the prescribed health cover is necessary for students obtaining this visa unless you are from an exempted group. Studying in an Australian institution provides a great career booster for students all over the world. Immigration Services Perth can be contacted for more details to help you apply.