A floor plan is a drawing that shows the layout of a property from above. Floor plans usually illustrate where are the walls, windows, stairs, and doors, as well as other installations like bathrooms, kitchen cabinetry, and other appliances. Floor plans are typically drawn to scale and indicate room types, sizes, as well as wall lengths. At times they can also show furniture layouts and even include outdoor areas.
What exactly is a floor plan?
An architectural plan and most specifically a floor plan is a scaled diagram of a room or entire floor viewed from above. The floor plan can actually depict an entire building, a single floor, or just one room. It caninclude measurements, appliances, furniture or anything necessary to the purpose of the plan.
Floor plans are very useful to design furniture layout and other elements like wiring systems. They are a valuable tool for real estate agencies and leasing businesses in helping sell a space.
Why is the architectural plan and floor plan design important?
Architectural plans and floor plans are vital when designing a home. A proper floor plan will increase the enjoyment of the home by creating great flow between spaces and can increase its resale value.
What are some of the key characteristics of a perfect floor plan when designing a house?
- Flexible and versatile. Ensure that in the future an office can be turned into a kid’s bedroom whether for your own family or a future buyer’s.
- The layout of the ideal room. Ensure bedrooms are quite far from entertaining rooms and spaces. Bathrooms should not face common entertainment rooms like living rooms. Most people like when the kitchen is open to the living room so whoever is preparing a meal can still talk and interact with guests or keep an eye on the children.
- Size. Whenever designing a room or hallway, bear in mind how many people will be occupying that space at a time. Will they have room to move? Will there be enough room for furniture to accommodate the planned activities?
- Fit for priorities and your lifestyle. When entertaining is important for you, ensure there is a proper flow from the kitchen to outer space like a living room. In case you work from home, check that your office gets a good amount of light and is in a quiet location.
- The balance between practical aspects and architectural details. Think twice about the safety of your children, cleaning and the heating bill before falling in love with some incredible staircase or floor to ceiling windows.
Communicating with architectural plans and floor plans
Architectural plans and floor plans are also an important aspect in communicating the flow of the space to potential buyers.
A study from 2013 suggests that property buyers consider floor plans not just great to have, but vital when looking at potential properties. One out of five stated they would completely ignore a property without a decent floor plan. They rated floor plans even more important than photos and the details of the property. Adding a good floor plan to a listed-to-sell property can potentially increase click-throughs from buyers by up to 52%.
You can even use a floor plan to communicate with contractors about an upcoming remodeling project.
How shall I draw my architectural plan?
There are some needed steps to creating an architectural plan or floor plan:
- Select the area. Choose the area to be drawn. If the building is already built, decide how much (a single room or the entire a floor) of it to draw. In case the building does not exist yet, think about designs based on the size of the location on which to build.
- Measurements. If the building already exists, measure its walls, doors, and furniture so that the floor plan will be perfectly accurate. It is recommended to look at buildings built in a similar area to use as an estimate for your floor plan.
- Walls. Add walls for each space of the building, and make sure they are drawn to scale.
- Architectural features. Begin adding features to your space by including some of the unchangeable things, such as doors and windows.You can also add the refrigerator, dryer, dishwasher and other key appliances that need to be placed in a specific spot. Once your plan is drawn, make sure that when it is time to print architectural plans you can count on the services of a reputed and recognised professional.
- Furniture. Add furniture if the floor requires it.