Visiting a doctor in the 50s is extremely difficult and if you want to know the secret of how to keep it at bay then you have to sneak peek in your kitchen. With time and age men develop their chances of getting health problems such as high blood pressure, various heart diseases, high cholesterol, diabetes and even the risk of cancer increase. Although these conditions are inevitable, certain changes in lifestyle habits and foods can do wonders on the content of your nutrition and health.
As per the best dietitian in North Delhi, how you eat, what you eat and how much you eat can make a huge difference in your health. Various nutrients like calcium, fibre, vitamin D, potassium and fats have their own role in the body and when the body got older the correct proportion of these nutrients becomes a pre-requisite. To improve the state of your health in the old age, the proper combination of a diet, physical activities, with healthy nutrients are extremely important. You can lower the level risk of many diseases that might come with age by putting more focus on foods that boost health and give instant energy in a short span of time. The likelihood of scary diseases can only be minimized by consuming a combination of nutrients with sound sleep and proper hydration. A healthy eating style can make a lot of difference to your body when you are in your oldies and not only this, right eating can keep your body and mind sharp and extend your life as well.
So, if you are about to jump in your 50s or above, we have brought you some fitness tips that will not only help you in maintaining the healthy body but also keep you away from various diseases. We’ve got simple and easy to follow tips for you that won’t even take much pain to add in the lifestyle.
- Eat Healthy Fats: It is a fact that fats are bad for your health and excessive consumption can also increase the risk of various heart diseases. But not enough consumption of good fats can sometimes harm your concentration and memory and also results in the lack of working of the brain. There is various food staple of healthy fats that include fatty fish, walnuts, flaxseed and nuts. So, rather than relying too much on carbs like butter, red meat, and other processed foods, include more foods that help in giving you good fibre and fats. These fats have additional benefits for your body and heart to keep diseases like diabetes and high cholesterol at par.
- Grease your joints: Old age comes with the joint pain. When people join their 50s, they start giving up on exercise and fats in order to get healthy and stay away from unwanted pains. But proteins, brisk exercises, healthy carbs and morning runs are all important for a healthy and fit body. People used to think that running would weaken their knees but various researches suggest that greasing body with omega 3s and running afterwards will help in strengthening the knees. Including foods in your bucket list like fishes, soybean oil and almonds will help you lubricate your joints and give proper nutrition to your body.
- Cut Sodium: Oldies can take you towards the path of high blood pressure. High blood pressure is normal in the old age and one such reason for this excessive consumption of sodium. Try to cut down on salt from your diet. Stay away from processed foods which are rich in carbs and sodium which can make you suffer from various diseases. Various packaged foods like bread, rolls, cookies and chips have a lot of salt and unwanted oil that can bring obesity and high cholesterol with its consumption. Here is one natural remedy- eat a banana every day, it has high potassium levels that help in lessening the effect of sodium in your diet.
- Make smarter food choices: As you get older, the process of your metabolism slows down and you have to be smart while choosing the food you eat and the calories you take. Always take care of the food and its calories state the best nutritionist in Delhi. Choosing home-made foods that are packed with different type of nutrients is a great choice. You must introduce dark leafy greens, a variety of colourful fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy and nuts in your diet. It will give you proper Vitamins and Minerals that are necessary for the smooth functioning of your body.
- Dietary fibre is a must: Fiber helps in lowering your bowel functions and boosts your digestive health by inducing good bacteria. Proper intake of dietary fibre helps in decreasing the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. 30 grams of dietary fibre are required by men older than 50. Aim to eat different variety of fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
- Make Calories Count: Age should not come in between eating. Every man should eat in the way they did in their 20s. Maintaining a healthy weight is extremely predominant in the 50s. With an increase in the age of men, activeness and muscle gain goes away and they typically become passive and fat. So, it is important to be active in physical activities and count every calorie you take. The daily calorie intake for men over the age of 50 are as follows:
- If not active then 2000 calories.
- If decently active then from 2200 to 2400 calories.
- If regularly active then from 2400 to 2800 calories.